Sunday, 2 March 2008

Toa Payoh food hunt

Last week's workload has came down a bit, so finally got sometime to enjoy the weekend. The other friend, Mr See also quite free. So, we decided to embark on the journey for good food. With the help of local food blog ieatishootipost, we went to Toa Payoh for the food hunt.

The first stop was at HDB Hub basement food court. First was the Hainanese bun by Gideon 300, together with a cup of teh C. I ordered a coconut bun. The bun is compact, different texture, heavier than usual bakery shop bread. Stuffed with yellow coconut, it was a satisfactory experience together with the teh C.



Next, we tried the Soon Heng Rojak, going at $2 only. The stall issued queue ticket, so you can wait in comfort on the seat. How was the taste? Good! This is one of the good one that I have ever tried. Respectable portion with right mix of prawn paste, the taste is just right. The you tiao was heated and provides the rojak with little warm. Beside that, the peanut is also generous.



Next, we took the bus to Blk 22 Toa Payoh Lorong 7 for the popiah. Very unfortunately, we went too late. The stall was closed in the late afternoon. We have to settle for other food. I ate this Tye Hong hand made fishball kuay teoh. I chose this because the word "hand made" and it did not disappoint me. You can taste the handmade inside the ball. It has rough texture and very pleasing, at least to me.



The last one we had was Dove Dessert's cendol. It is the signature dish of the stall and recommended. It is good. I tried a couple of cendol in food court's dessert stall before. Those are standard food court quality which I think is not up to the standard.

So, what's good about this version? The ice is finely shaved and gula melaka is very fragrant. The sweetness is well balanced, with nice cendol and generous red bean. I cannot ask for more from this dessert already.



After the cendol, Mr See and I were so full, that we have to call it a day. I would plan for another hunt in the near future.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2007-2008