Friday, 20 February 2009

Google desktop CPU hogging issue solved

Last year, I noticed that my laptop fan keep spinning for a pro long period. As the result, the air outlet became really hot and my CPU usage is hovering around 50%. When I open my task manager, the CPU resource is being taken by the Google Desktop that I am using. I thought the issue would go away, after I installed a new version of the program, but it didn't. So, I gave up using it for quite a while.

Today, I installed another latest version of Google Desktop, hoping them would fix the thing. At the end, it didn't. I was determined to find out the reason. I do some research on the issue and somebody suggest that the Google Desktop application is stuck with some files and cause the looping and high CPU usage. So, I start my investigation with following steps:

1. On my Google Desktop and note the CPU usage.

2. Download the process monitor application from Microsoft website.

3. Run the process monitor and filter the Google Desktop application only. The process monitor shows what the application is trying to do on real time basis

4. After some observation, I realised that it constantly access one of its own file called hes.evt. It is under C:\Documents and Settings\user_id\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop\661718322531 (Your path could be different)

5. I shut down the Google desktop and delete the file

6. Start the Google desktop again. Hurray, it works.

Now, the application is behaving normally and no CPU hogging issue. Hopefully, the team can fix this bug in the next release.

6 comments:

Treb said...

Fixed it for me as well. You should submit this to Google!

anugrahandi said...

Thanx for the info...

I have this kind of problem, too... so, I search the "hes.evt" file, and found 2 files. I delete those file and my google desktop working fine without consuming my resource again..

Alen said...

You are welcome. Seems many people have similar issue, but Google never put inside the FAQ or correct it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your information I found with google ! It correct my heavy cpu usage too.

Brad Raple said...

Thanks! Worked for me, too. Google should really get on top of this.

張席維 said...

Perfect work! I wonder why Google is suffering to fix it.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2007-2008