Wednesday, 2 April 2008

First impression of Firefox 3 beta 4

If you have not heard of firefox till now, you probably not reading news. Now the firefox version 3 is in the beta stage, beta 4 in fact. I downloaded a copy to try. Because the main improvement is on the AJAX rendering speed. Since many of the website is on web 2.0 design concept, having an improved javascript engine would definitely help.

So, I install and test run. Once installed, it can recognise your existing profile immediately and there is limited things you need to do. Overall, the user interface still remain pretty much the same. Except they have made some refinement, I cannot say it is improvement, because I don't think it has been improved in a great way. Most of the button and functionality still remain the same. The notable feature now is the smart bookmark which would keep track of your most frequent visited site and the smart address bar that could match any url that you would like to visit. For example, you type yahoo into the address bar. Your yahoo mail address would most likely be shown in the drop down list.

But the big negative of this beta version is the frequent crash. I used it about maybe 10 times, it crashed 3-4 times. There are still more work to be done and I have switched back to the stable version 2. I guess we have to wait for some more time for the final version 3. Eagerly awaiting the new release.

2 comments:

jacen said...

I was testing IE8 beta 1 and came away impressed (was *spoofed* by a april fool article saying IE8 will do away with standards again =p). I was hoping Firefox recent builds will get better but your post is quite discouraging.. =p

Alen said...

Just today, I actually read that beta 5 is out now and this is likely to be the last before actual final version. As the beta is after all beta, we have to see the official release. I believe by that time, they should have ironed out all the issues.

In a way, I have also contributed to the testing. Haha. Since every time it would send the crash report back. I am always a loyal supporter of firefox and I believe the new version would be better than current.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2007-2008